The Serra de l’Albera, or Albera range of mountains, is the name given to the easternmost section of the Pyrenees, from Le Perthus to the sea. It separates the vast plains of the Empordà and those of Roussillon, and since the signing of the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659, the crest of the range has formed part of the Franco-Spanish frontier.
It is about 25 km long, and its principal peaks are Puig Neulós (1257 m), Puig dels Pastors (1167 m), Puig dels Quatre Termes (1156 m) and Pic de Sallafort (992 m).
The Natural Zone of Declared National Interest of the Albera is situated in the north-east of the Alt Empordà, and forms part of the municipal areas of La Jonquera, Espolla and Rabós.
The Natural Zone is itself made up of two quite distinct areas. The Western area, the sector around Requesens and Bausitges, has vegetation of a mid-European type, with humid woods of beech and oak; whilst the Eastern area, the sector around Sant Quirze de Colera, is Mediterranean, with vegetation of cork-oaks and brush where the last colonies of Mediterranean tortoise still survive.
PLACES OF INTEREST
– Sant Quirze de Colera
– Megalithic monuments
– Flora and vegetation in general
– Geomorphology and scenery.
– The Albera Tortoise Reproduction CENTRE
– The CASTLE of Requesens.
-The MONASTERY of St. Quirze de Colera.
– MEGALITHIC STONES.
– ROMANESQUE ART. – There are about twenty Romanesque churches in different states of conservation scattered all round the ‘Albera, from modest pre-Romanesque hermitages to the splendid monastery of Sant Quirze de Colera. Access to the majority of these churches is possible only on foot.
The natural beauty of the Albera is well known, and amply justifies its protection.
CENTRES IN THE ZONE
Centre of ‘information and office
The Old Rectory, c/. Amadeu Sudrià, no. 3 –
Tel: 972 54 50 79
Fax: 972 54 51 39
E-mail: email@example.com / Open hours: Monday to Friday: 8- 15h
Centre of ‘information and permanent exhibition
Can Laporta, C/ Major, no. 2 –
17700 La Jonquera
Tel: 972 55 52 58
Fax: 972 55 57 40
Open hours: Monday to Friday: 9 – 14:30h
Albera Tortoise Reproduction
Centre, Sanctuary of La Mare de Déu del Camp,
972 55 22 45
RULES OF CONDUCT
– The risk of forest fires is high in the area.
– Starting a fire is not, therefore, allowed under any circumstances.
– Respect the flora and fauna: Uprooting or damaging any plant or disturbing animals is not allowed.
– Vehicles must only use signposted tracks. Avoid making noise and driving at excess speed.
– It is forbidden to dump rubbish; it must be carried away and disposed of outside the Natural Zone.
– A large part of the land is private property. Please respect property and buildings.