The origins of the monastery of Sant Quirze of Colera are garbled. It admits that to the year 785 installed in this place several members of a same family (directed by the brothers Libuci and Assinari) at the head of other people and with the end to found a monastery.
Before the year 815 achieved a real precept where mentions already the monastery, at the same time that it did it beneficiario of diverse goods. In spite of the little reliability of these data, have discovered important architectural elements and burials of that period that show, at least, his antiquity.
That precept of Charlemagne meant the beginning of a series of donations and foundations of parishes under the direction of the monastery of Sant Quirze.
In 1123, the bishop Berenguer of Girona chaired the ceremony of consecration of the new church and in this moment also mentioned the church of Santa María. In the following years continued registering important donations in favour of the monastery. The 1288 place suffered the effects of the step of French troops.
In the 15th century begin to find indications of decadence, and of the existence of abbots comendatarios. There is proof that in 1441 the claustro found in danger of ruin. In 1592 the monastery was suppressed, extinguishing the community and integrating with the one of Sant Pere de Besalú.
With the exclaustración of 1835, the goods of Sant Pere of Besalú were auctioned and Sant Quirze of Colera happened to hands of the soldier Ramón of Nouviles. The buildings were used with agricultural ends and abandoned in occasions. In 1931 it was declared National Monument and in the last times have done works of consolidation and restauration.
SCHEDULE: The opening to the public of the monastery is:
08/07/19 – 11/09/19: 11 – 13:30h & 16:30 – 19h
The price of entrance are 3€ (the boys until the 12 years do not pay) and the groups of more than 25 people 2€.