The old village of Sant Llorenç de la Muga is a walled enclosure which has been a favoured holiday spot since before the Spanish Civil War thanks to its natural surroundings near the river Muga and its beautiful medieval architectural heritage. Due to its location on one side of the village, the Sant Llorenç de la Muga church was most definitely built after the village of Sant Llorenç. The church was originally Romanesque with three naves. Until reaching its current structure, it has undergone an extensive history of transformations, renovations and partial destructions. The left side nave is no longer standing, the apse of the right nave has been completely rebuilt and the façade is very changed, dating from a later period than the original church. The apse is surrounded by gardens and leads towards the river Muga and the small vegetable patches outside the walls, where the famous Sant Llorenç beans are grown.
Located at the foot of the Muga river, in the outskirts of Sant Llorenç de la Muga and very near the bridge (that bears the same name), we can find the Sant Antoni chapel (1835). This bridge dates back to medieval times and was built before the chapel. It was called “Pont del Grau” due to its location, on two calcareous crags that tightly enclose the river in this section.
The 13th century Moros tower watchtower has a perfectly circular base and is in a perfect state of conservation. It is an excellent vantage point over the Muga valley and the village of Sant Llorenç. To reach this spot, you can take a peaceful hike from the village through the pine and holm oak forests.