The town of Roses is imbued with the essence of the Mediterranean and has a strong tradition of tourism and fishing.
The walk around the Ciutadella (Fortress) is a must for anyone visiting Roses. It was declared a historic-artistic site in 1961 and displays remains of different ages and rules. The military fort with the monumental Porta de Mar (Sea Gate), covers an area of 131,480 m² and was built in the Renaissance style in 1543. There is an important archaeological site within the fort where we can find the remains of: the Greek-ruled city of Rhodes, founded in 776 BC by the Rhodians; the Hellenist district from the 4th to 3rd centuries BC, the town’s greatest moment of prosperity; the Roman town dated to the 2nd century BC to the 6th century AD; the Romanesque Lombard Santa Maria monastery from the 11th century and findings from the 19th century.
Inhabited since ancient times, Roses has one of the most complete and impressive megalithic routes in the Costa Brava. Three large dolmens are a memento of the first settlers: the Creu d’en Cobertella dolmen (3000- 2700 BC), the Llit de la Generala dolmen (3200 BC) and the Cap de l’Home dolmen. The Creu d’en Cobertella dolmen is the largest in Catalonia and dates to the Neolithic era. It was declared a historic-artistic monument in March 1964. It has a large gallery, covered with a flagstone that weighs 4 tonnes and measures 5.2 metres long, 2.45 metres wide and 2.14 metres high. Along the route through the town’s origins are the two Casa Cremada menhirs that date back to the fourth or third millennium BC: the Casa Cremada kist, which was used for burials (like the dolmens) and the Rec
de la Cuana dolmen-cave, which dates back to 2500 BC.
Trinitat castle crowns the end of Poncella fort above the Roses lighthouse. This military construction dates back to 1544 and was built during the reign of King Charles I. It forms a five-pointed star shape, with pronounced angular boundaries to defend the fort from enemy missiles. It is an impressively- sized building and its walls measure over 2 m thick.
The Visigothic Castrum stands in the Puig-rom development and was built for defensive purposes over the course of the 7th century. But despite the fact that it was a sturdy fort, only the remains of it are now left. It had a purely strategic, defensive purpose. It was declared National Cultural Interest Site in 1963.
A unique feature of Bufalaranya castle (built in around the 10th century) is the pattern formed by its masonry which is arranged in a herringbone fashion (opus spicatum). It stands on the top of a hill, near the road that goes from Roses to Cadaqués.
Of the original parish church of Santa Maria, which was consecrated in 1796, the apse, the stone cross and the dome still remain.
La Casa Mallol is a modernist building that stands in Plaça Catalunya square and dates back to 1906. It was designed by the architect Joan Marès. Features on the façade include a gallery and several apertures with small columns and floral relief work decoration. Inside, the ornamental roofs have been conserved, as have wrought iron pieces. It currently houses the town hall.