It used to belong to Sant Pere de Rodes, and El Port de la Selva was its maritime district until it gained independence in 1787.
The church of Sant Sebastià is a 12th-13th century Romanesque church with vestiges of an earlier 10th century construction. It was fortified in the 14th century. The 17th century parish church of Sant Esteve was destroyed in 1939, though it was later rebuilt.
The Trull de Can Rubiés is an old olive-oil mill situated right in the centre of La Selva de Mar, next to the church of Sant Esteve. In the oil mill one can see exactly how wine and oil were produced. This oil mill dates back to the beginning of the 1930s and was in operation until most of the olive trees and vines were frosted and died during the winter of 1956. Because of this, olive oil production was no longer profitable and the oil mill eventually closed down during the 1960s, when it was not even profitable to produce wine.
Inside the mill one can see the machinery and tools used to produce oil and wine. The large millstone, the vats and the press are the most well known features, but there are also tools that are less well known or simply curious, such as the cart system used to transport the olives in the mill.
The Trull de Can Rubiés is open until 31 August from Tuesday to Sunday and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Admission and guided tour completely free of charge.