The historic centre of Boadella comprises a series of streets and houses next to the Santa Cecília parish church, and the castle that belonged to the former lords of Vilamarí. The village was created between the 11th and 12th centuries, coinciding with the construction of the castle (documented in 1121). In around the 13th-14th centuries, the village was enclosed by a wall and closed with a single entrance gate. This gateway stood at the beginning of what is now Carrer del Portal street, which leads to the Plaça Major square. The gateway is no longer conserved, having been taken down in 1915. The majority of the houses in the old quarter have maintained the traditional architecture of the region. Most of these houses have stone façades – using cobble stones from the river, some with voussoired
doorways and windows with ashlars and rustic sills. The streets are narrow and dark and have been recently paved. A stretch of the alleyway called “Carreró de l’Església” has cobbled paving with stones from the watercourse that dates back to the 18th century.
Boadella Santa Cecília’s church
The church seems to have been built no earlier than the 16th or 17th centuries. The façades are plastered and painted, except for the south-facing façade which displays haphazardly positioned cobble stones from the river. There is also a rounded arch opening or window that looks Romanesque and that could belong to the original church building, of which few remains are left.
The Boadella castle-palace stands next to the church, in front of the Plaça Major square. The building is a huge gothic house made up of three sections that are joined along the eastern side by a wall, creating a rectangular courtyard. On the wall that overlooks the square, there is a rounded entrance with large voussoirs. Apart from this entrance, there are rows of cobble stones from the early 12th century castle. The rest of the building dates back to the reconstruction undertaken during the 15th century.
Sant Marti’s church
When the old church near Salt de la Caula was abandoned at the end of the 18th century, the current Sant Martí was built within the village and was also dedicated to Saint Martin. The church has one nave and a polygonal apse.
Les Escaules’ neighbourhood
Small cluster of stone houses nestled on the bank of the river Muga, along a street that begins with the Sant Martí church. The street was widened in the 18th century at the time that the vineyards flourished, until the arrival of the phylloxera plague. In the early 20th century, the village became a leisure and holidaying spot for the inhabitants of Figueres.
Les Escaules’ castle
14th-15th centuries. Stands on a rocky summit on a hill that measures 235 m tall, rising up to the southwest of the village. From this point, we have a splendid view, firstly over the village of Les Escaules,
and of the agricultural land and mountains covered with pine forests.