This village’s cultural-architectural heritage is outstanding, because in spite of its current state of neglect, the area experienced a very prosperous age with the coal mines as we can see through the existence of many 18th and 19th century hamlets and small villages.
The Romanesque chapels in the mountains are extraordinarily beautiful.
Mare de Déu del Mont
The sanctuary was built in the 14th century on an old medieval castle and was home to the priest Cinto Verdaguer who wrote one of his occasional works there: Canigó. The cell in which he lived is still maintained and can be visited. It has spectacular views over El Pla de l’Estany, Garrotxa, the Empordà region and of course, the Canigó massif.
Sant Llorenç dels Sous monastery
The Benedictine monastery was documented in 872, under the protection of the Sant Aniol d’Aguja monastery. It was an important monastery in the county of Besalú during the Romanesque period, reaching its maximum splendour in around 1000 when it gained independence from the bishopric of Girona. After the powerful earthquakes of 1427 and 1429, and with the progressive fall in income, it fell into decline.
The Albanyà eddies
The Albanyà eddies are a series of irrigation pools in the initial sections of the river Muga. They are located within the Alta Garrotxa PEIN (Area of Natural Interest) and its natural environment is made up of chestnut trees, oak groves and meadows. There are numerous spots nearby to carry out river fishing.
The Bassegoda mount
Is the most emblematic summit in Alt Empordà, standing at 1373 m. It is located in the Alta Garrotxa and has long been a site for hiking.
The Mare de Déu del Fau sanctuary
Located at the summit of the Fau mountain in the former parish of Carbonills, was popularly known as “La Mare de Déu de les Formigues o de les Alades”.
In the 14th century, the Mare de Déu del Fau was already talked of, but the sanctuary was rebuilt in the 15th century. It is an example of how some forms of Romanesque architecture lived on in the architecture of popular religious buildings. The sanctuary, which has now been abandoned, has one nave and a very simple semicircular apse. The neoclassic altarpiece remains in place, but the
virgin is now kept in Albanyà parish church.
Sant Feliu de Carbonills
The site of Carbonills was documented in 878; the Sant Feliu church was recorded at the end of the 13th century. This parish most definitely joined the parish of Sant Cristòfol dels Horts from the 15th century onwards. The outstanding, Romanesque sculpted tombstone (12th century) that is now in Sant Pere d’Albanyà originated in Sant Feliu church.
Sant Pere d’Albanyà
Was one of the first monasteries to be documented amongst those that sprang up to the south of the Pyrenees during the Carolingian rule, as a result of the Benedictine monastic colonisation in around 820. In the 14th century, Sant Pere d’Albanyà was already a parish church. The Romanesque church is an example of religious architecture typical of north-eastern Catalan counties from the second half of the 10th century or the early 11th century. It has recently been restored.
Sant Marti de Corsavell
In Corsavell, the tower’s large fortified house and the 12th century Sant Martí church form a very interesting group of attractive medieval buildings.
Sant Miquel de Bassegoda
Is a 12th century Romanesque church which recently underwent a very tasteful renovation.
Sant Bartomeu de Pincaró
Is a beautiful 12th century Romanesque church and is very characteristic of the area. It has maintained the old baptismal font and another rectangular font.
Sant Andreu de Lliurona
Has preserved its 12th century Romanesque nave but the apse has not been kept. The westerly facade features the doorway with arches (in disrepair) with sculpted details in the tympanum and the imposts. Romanesque ironwork can still be seen on the door panels. The bell tower and the vestry were additions from a later period.
Sant Joan de Baussols
The sanctuary, dating back to 1413, stands on a steep summit that overlooks Baussols. It was originally dedicated to Saint Mary and in later years, this dedication was transferred to St. John. The building is inkeeping with the Romanesque style. There are some remains of schematic wall paintings, which probably also date to the 14th-15th centuries.
Sant Julià de Ribelles
Has conserved part of the pre-Romanesque building that was present at its consecration (947). The church was rebuilt in the 13th century. Next to the church lie the ruins of the Pruna or Ribelles farmhouse which was mentioned in a document that dates to 999, where the odd pre-Romanesque wall or herringbone wall was noted.
In the town of Albanyà we can also find the Sant Cristòfol dels Horts parish church (11th-12th century), Sant Vicenç de Principi Romanesque church (probably from the 11th century) and Sant Corneli de la Muga church (13th century) in ruins.