The Sant Doménech Romanesque Cloister is the only trace that remains of the Augustinian convent founded in Peralada in the second half of the 11th century. The monument is appointed of Sant Doménech, because the convent was occupied by the dominican from 1578 until 1835.
This cloister, of rectangular plant, is surrounded by couples of columns and capitals: seven pairs in the longest galleries –the one of migjorn and the one of tramontana- and six pairs in the shortest. The big appeal of the monument is the decoration that present the fifty-two capiteles of the group.
All they show a big morphological variety and distinguish four types according to the ornamentation that present: geometrical, vegetal, zoomorphic figuration and historic figuration. Do the cloister iconographic reading seems difficult, since it has been very reconstructed along the history.
We see represented jugglery subjects, hunting scenes, bestiary and biblical episodes, like Eva’s creation. Likewise also they are sculpted the arms of the Rocabertí, a very important family in the Alt Empordà during the Medieval age. The sculptural work presents a big diversity: Surely it made it a workshop of diverse sculptors.
Peralada’s Cultural centre Sant Domènec – Village Museum