Bàscara

The municipality of Bàscara encompasses the hamlets of Calabuig, Les Roques and Orriols.

Its fortified location on the main path from Girona to France heightened the strategic importance of the town in the modern era. In 1675, the village was taken by the French, who set up a base camp in 1683 to besiege Girona. In 1808 and 1809, the French occupied Bàscara once again and set up stores and a blood hospital there. At the end of the war, General Suchet blew up the town’s fortifications.

The remains of the Sant Nicolau de Calabuig Priory

The remains of the Sant Nicolau de Calabuig Priory constitute part of the large Can Pagès house (formerly known as Mas Margall), 2 km southeast of Calabuig. It was created in an area that has been populated since ages old (there are fragments of Roman pottery nearby), most probably by the Sant Esteve de Banyoles monks.

Bàscara’s walls

The majority of Bàscara’s walled enclosure has been conserved, as have the remains of the Episcopal castle.

Sant Iscle de Bàscara’s church

The parish church of Sant Iscle de Bàscara can be found in the upper part of the town, on the boulder of the cliff over the river Fluvià. The church has a single nave and was built mainly throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.

Resclosa’s park

Parkland area on the riverside of the Fluvià, in the stretch that passes through the municipality of Bàscara. Next to it is a riverside path that skirts around black poplar and willow woods and an
area used for horse shows. You can take a ride in a horse-drawn carriage along here.

Sant Feliu of Calabuig’s church

The parish church of Sant Feliu towers over the village of Calabuig and was built using the remains of the old castle.

Calabuig’s Mill

Calabuig mill, on the riverbank of the Fluvià, is a huge building that underwent much restoration work at the end of the 19th century or in the early 20th century. The small chapel was built at that time and was dedicated to Saint Nicholas.

Orriols’ castle-palace

The castle-palace at Orriols is a huge building with a rectangular layout and a central courtyard, built in the 16th-17th centuries. It is currently used as a hotel.

Uso de cookies

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.

ACEPTAR